Welcome event & Gala Dinner

Wednesday 12 october 2016

19:30 Cocktail Reception at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center

 

Gala Dinner

Thursday 13 October 2016

18.00 Transfer by coach from the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center

19.00 Welcome at the Château de Versailles (Dress Code : dark suit / black tie, if preferred)

Private visit of the Château de Versailles with posted guides :

The Château de Versailles, which has been on UNESCO’s World Heritage List for 30 years, is one of the most beautiful achievements of 18th-century French art. The site began as Louis XIII’s hunting lodge before his son Louis XIV transformed and expanded it, moving the court and government of France to Versailles in 1682. Each of the three French kings who lived there until the French Revolution added improvements to make it more beautiful.

The Hall of Mirrors, the King’s Grand Apartments, the Museum of the History of France. The Château de Versailles, the seat of power until 1789, has continued to unfurl its splendour over the course of centuries. At first it was just a humble hunting lodge built by Louis XIII. But Louis XIV chose the site to build the palace we know today, the symbol of royal absolutism and embodiment of classical French art.

20.30 Gala dinner in The Gallery des Cotelle of the Grand Trianon - Catering by Lenôtre
23.00 Closing and departure by coach to the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center.

About The Grand Appartements
In the 1670s Louis XIV built the Grand Apartments of the King and Queen, whose most emblematic achievement is the Hall of Mirrors designed by Mansart, where the king put on his most ostentatious display of royal power in order to impress visitors.
“Les Grands Appartements” were exclusively used for reception, balls and other festivities in the second part of the reign of King Louis XIV. It was in these rooms that the famous “jours d’appartement” were held, which made the magnificent Versailles life-style known all over the world.
Marble panelling, sumptuous velvet fabrics covering the walls, antique busts and painted ceilings created by the most famous artists of the time of the Sun King form the setting of these “Grands Appartements”.
 
About The Grand Trianon
In 1687 Jules Hardouin Mansart built the Grand Trianon, probably the most refined group of buildings anywhere in the domain of Versailles, on the site of the “Porcelain Trianon”, which Louis XIV had had erected in 1670 to escape the pomp and rigid formality of court life with his mistress Madame de Montespan.
 
Louis XIV occupied the Grand Trianon, where he also housed his sister-in-law the Princess Palatine, his son-in-law the duc de Chartres and his daughter the duchesse de Bourbon. It was beloved by Marie Leszczynska, who lived here in summer. Marie-Antoinette gave several performances here but preferred the Petit Trianon, which Louis XVI had given her as a present.
 
Napoleon Bonaparte had the palace restored before staying here on many occasions with his second wife, Empress Marie-Louise. In 1963 Charles de Gaulle had it restored as a guesthouse for presidents of France and the northern wing, known as “Trianon-sous-bois”, was converted into an official presidential residence.
 
© photos credits : Alexandre Nestora and Château de Versailles
For more information : http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage